Sunday, March 25, 2018

Skydiving in Taupo...Strike one off Gary's Bucket List


In 1992 Kaija gave me a wonderful birthday present...flying lessons.  It was the beginning of my love affair with the air.  The quiet exhilaration of flying in the mountains of BC and the quiet solitude of night flying became a passion.  It also started me thinking that one day soon...I would love to strap on a parachute and try my hand or luck at skydiving.  As flying came off my bucket list...Skydiving was added.  Our campsite at Taupo was located close to the local airport for for three days I had been watching the rainbow coloured parachutes flying overhead.  I woke on on the 4th morning a beautiful sunny clear day and decided today was the day.  Jumping from a perfectly good plane at 12000 ft. may seem a little stupid to some...but for me and a host of others it is a lifetime thrilling experience.  I will say that aside from the obvious feelings of apprehension and butterflies, this is a full on body rush and a full commitment sport.  Once you leave the plane…there is no going back.  It was an experience I will always remember and would do happily do again.  Here is a brief excerpt of my experience...they say a picture is worth a thousand words...hopefully you get the idea of what I thought of it.


No comments: